Since I built photon with new parts after the break-in here it has been running slamd64 12.2. This was a given since I prefer Slackware for my servers and it is basically 64bit Slackware. I needed 64 bit since I had 4 gigs of RAM and wanted to have it all. Who doesn’t right? Well Slackware 13.0 was recently released and part of that release was an official 64 bit port. Time to upgrade of course 🙂
The upgrade went off without a hitch with one exception. One the reboot to put my custom kernel in place all was fine and dandy, for a bit at least. After about a half hour I tried to su to root and was rejected. After about 4 tries I said screw it and rooted the box which is very easy if you have access to the machine physically. What happened, I have no clue. All seems fine now.
I say upgrade but I should note I never do upgrades. I always do a clean install and move backup data over as needed and/or configure things. It leaves behind a cleaner system in my opinion. The kernel it is running is a custom build which is what I prefer to run. For those who have a clue and care “uname -a” data is below:
Linux photon 2.6.31 #1 SMP Sat Sep 12 02:19:05 EDT 2009 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
All of the hardware is up and running. I had a small issue with lm_sensors before that seems to be resolved now. For monitoring I have two modules in use which are “coretemp” and “asus_atk0110”, with the asus_atk0110 module doing most of the heavy lifting and coretemp of course giving me a per-core temp reading. I should have compiled those in and likely will should i have need to rebuild the kernel. Those two being the only static hardware modules I did not do so with, mainly because I was simply unaware.