There have been two things I have wanted to get done with my HTC Sensation for some time. Load an AOSP ROM and polish the case. I have managed to complete both. The AOSP ROM came first. Cyanogenmod released a nightly for the device based on the OpenSensation project. They had a few minor bugs, and still do, but the real features are all working and the ROM has done me well so far. The current results are phenomenal and I am very pleased with how things are working out.
The full change from the stock ROM to CM9 included rooting the device, S-OFF, loading 4ext recovery, wiping the whole thing then loading the ROM from 4ext. In all honesty it was rather easy and fluid, just like the operation of the UI and everything else when I was done.
The polish work involved a decent amount more in the work department. I had to remove the plastic panels to allow the polish work to be done right, and I must say I broke things a bit. I had read several posts on line noting that the panels were held in place by an epoxy, or glue. This was definitely not the case with mine. The aluminum had a waffle pattern in it on the back side to which the plastic had been thermally bonded. I managed to break this bond on the lower piece, but on the upper it refused to give way and I ended up removing the piece while leaving some of it behind. i.e. a hole was placed in the panel.
To get around this I purchased two replacement parts from ebay @ 9$ each and literally pealed the aluminum away from it from the back side using needle nose pliers. It took a bit more work but left the plastic intact (while destroying the aluminum of course, but I already had that piece 😉 ).
About an hour of sanding later I started polishing the metal. After maybe 30 minutes I was done. Yet again I was pleased with the results.
One thing that still erked me was the under-clock on the CPU. This was done surely to conserve on battery and so forth, but I wanted the full clock speed it was capable of. Lots of reading on xda-developers.com yielded a few options but one stuck out. The bricked kernel. The reason it stuck out, swipe to wake. A really neat feature that allows me to wake the device by swiping my finger across the fixed capacitive keys from left to right at the bottom or to put it to sleep by swiping the opposite way. A really cool feature I must admit!
For the kernel I disabled ZRAM (what a bad idea…), enabled swipe-to-wake, used the on-demand governor and set the minimum clock to 384MHz and the max to 1566MHz. The minimum bump to 384MHz was to remove a slight glitch in the UI when I stopped interacting for a few seconds then started again. To date battery life has been great, performance phenomenal and my happiness high!